Monday 25 April 2011

In fairness...

J.A. Konrath, the godfather of self-publishing, recently posted an impressive number: 276,112. Believe it or not, this is the total number of books he has self-published, with the last 176,000 or so coming since last October.

I've only been self-publishing for a few weeks now, but I thought that it might be fun to share my number, and what it means to me.

15.

Now, you might notice a bit of a discrepancy between my numbers and those of Mr. Konrath. I'm still pleased by my results.

First of all, I have done literally no advertising. I put Awakened up as an exercise to get familiar with Amazon's system.

Second, the fact that 15 people have read the book--and one person has taken the time to write a glowing review--is pretty fantastic for a book that I figured would never see the light of day.

I put a lot of effort into editing Awakened over the last few years, but I still feel a little self conscious about it. I wrote it before I really knew how to write a marketable book, so I often wonder how big the potential audience actually is. Ultimately I wrote it because it was the kind of book I wanted to read--any readers I acquire are gravy!

(And at $0.99 for over 400 pages, I must say, you could do far worse for an impulse buy!)

Just wait until the current project I'm working on comes out. I'm learning the Kindle ropes with Awakened, but I'm going to launch a full promotional blitz for the next one.

Enjoy the last precious day of Easter weekend. Don't forget to hit up the stores for cheap chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment